(24) Gordon River SW Tasmania Australia 1998


Triptych 50.9 x 131.7 cm

The Gordon river forms part of the Macquarrie Harbour system at the southwest corner of Tasmania in Australia. An attempt to flood the Franklin and Lower Gordon rivers by the Tasmanian government during the eighties for hydro electric energy, was halted by fierce demonstrations, that drew support from all corners of Australia. The Macquarrie Harbour is one of the largest natural deepwater harbours in the world and it was here that the British discovered the magnificent Huon Pine with which a large number of ships were built at Sarah Island a few miles downstream. Sarah Island was occupied between 1822 and 1834. The larger facility at Port Arthur closer to Hobart was opened to house convicts in 1834.

 

Previous | Gallery | Next